What is trademark infringement in digital business?
Working from home or running a digital business? Others are too. There might be accidental or intentional misuse of your business or trading name.
In adherence to our rigorous editorial policy, this article's content has undergone careful testing for accuracy and trustworthiness and hence, this content is marked source of information. View editorial history of this content.
Running a digital business needs legal attention as well. You must be actively keeping an eye on who else might be misusing your business identity, trading name, or content.
Digital businesses, having registered trademark, are vulnerable to trademark misuse. Trademark use policy must be provided to guide users, customers, and 3rd parties to use your business trademark effectively. In the real world, unfortunately, not everyone follows the trademark policy or just ignore it. Henceforth, businesses have to deal with accidental or intentional abuse of trademark mark or words on social media, direct websites, and other online tools.
Following infringements (collectively) are counted towards trademark infringement or miscue for online businesses: –
- A business entity or person uses an identical or very similar trademark (logo, word mark, or domain) to another legally formed business’s trademark or trading name.
- That use is in commerce, meaning that it’s done in connection with the sale or promotion of goods or services.
- That use is likely to confuse consumers about the source, endorsement or affiliation of the goods or services.
- That is not just a mix of trademark with another amendment and being used in a totally different context. If the context is clearly different and understandable, it is not a misuse.
Examples of trademark misuse: Digital Setups is registered trademark. Using digitalsetups.jobs (which is not currently by us) or digitalsetupsjobs.com is a misuse. The context is as if Digital Setups Company is providing jobs which is wrong in this perspective. Another misuse often appears on products or services such as selling products on the name and style of other.
Digital Setups has enforced a strict sourcing policy. Every content piece published on our website is passed through strict editorial review for contextual correctness, communication ethics, and programmatic tests wherever required. Our team research solutions from only credible, authentic, and trustworthy sources. Learn more about our editorial process.
Based on our editorial policy, we update our content time to time to ensure its usefulness, reliability, and validity.
Our standardized editorial process ensures right, timely, and usefulness updates to our content. Your honest opinion drives significant improvement to our content. We appreciate you are taking time to share that.
Readers who read this also found these helpful:
- Unlock new cross-device capabilities & More with Google Signals
- TTFB: Time to First Byte – What it is, high TTFB causes, and fixes
- Does daily manual or dynamically changing content on page impact SEO?
- Most Complete WordPress Ping Services List
- Google Ads: Keyword Planner Tool – Easy & Powerful Guide
- Is it possible to change wp-config.php via functions.php or plugin?
- Search Console: Fix “Alternate page with proper canonical tag” Error in Page Indexing
- Woo Express vs. Pressable WooCommerce Hosting
- SECP Pakistan
- Search Console: Fix “LCP issue: longer than 2.5s (mobile)” Issue